Weekly tip to get you ready for summer - Stay active
Yes, it is great that you are coming to training before or after work but what about the other 15 hours you are awake? We need to stay active as much as possible and there is no better way than walking. We should be averaging 10,000 steps per day, which works out to be around 8km or 1 hour 40 minutes walking. Most of us have sedentary jobs and that can make this hard but there are a few things you can do to help yourself reach this goal, in turn burning more calories and getting you closer to the body you want.
We sleep all night, drive to work, sit down at work, go somewhere and sit down for lunch, then back to the desk chair, drive home and then sit and watch TV or do more work, then go back to bed. We need to add more movement into our daily routines.
Exercise is long term; it can take months or years to get in bad shape, it wont take as long to lose it, but you have to be patient and stick to it.
Here are a few ideas to keep you moving throughout your day:
- Park the car 1km from your work and walk the rest of the way, or park your car in the furthest park in the garage car park.
- Leave the car at home and walk to the nearest train station.
- Jump off the train or bus 1 to 2 stops early on the way to work and back home.
- If you prefer to exercise in the evening, go for a short 30 minute walk or jog once you get home. Alternatively, when you get home take the dog for a walk, and this will help you wind down from the day and set you up for a good night sleep.
- If you prefer early morning exercise, get up 20 to 30 minutes early and go for a walk or jog before breakfast. By the time you get to work you will be fully awake, feeling good and able to focus better.
- Take the stairs, this could be for your apartment at home or at work, even between floors - it can add up quickly. If you work in a sky scraper get off 5 floors earlier and take the stairs the rest of the way up. Every week get off 1 level earlier.
- At lunch time head out for a walk around town and enjoy your break, pick a nice place to have your lunch then make your way back. This short break away from the office is proven to increase work productivity and workers moral.
- If you talk on the phone all day, stand up and walk around. Pacing back and forth while on a call is a great way to loosen up and get your blood moving after sitting for so long. This will help keep you energy levels up throughout the day.
- Have a small glass of water at your desk so you always have to get up and walk to fill it up. If you drink the recommended 2 litres of water a day and you have a cup that only allows a few sips, you will be moving all day.
Adding in a few of these extra ways to get you moving more will help you burn more body fat throughout your day, but remember you can never out exercise a bad diet.