Lamb and Pomegranate Salad
If you haven’t eaten lamb in a while, here are a few good reasons to head to the butcher.
What you will need:
- 1-1.5kg lamb shoulder
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece of peeled ginger root, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 pomegranates
- Large handful of basil, roughly chopped
- Greens for the salad (try baby spinach and rocket or mixed baby greens)
How to bring it together:
1) In a blender, combine the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper, coconut oil and vinegar. Blend until garlic and ginger are finely chopped and the consistency of runny paste.
2) Rub the entire roast down with the marinade.Then roll the roast up in netting to hold it together and let the meat sit at room temperature for 1 hour to marinate.
4) Preheat oven to 325 °F (163 °C)
5) Place the lamb in a roasting pan fat side up and add the water. Cover tightly with foil or a lid and roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is very tender. While roasting check it to make sure the pan is not dry. If for some reason the pan is dry, add another 1/4 cup of water. This will only happen if the lid isn’t tight enough.
6) When finished roasting, take off the foil and turn on the oven grill to low. Grill the lamb just to crisp up the strip of fat on top, 3 to 5 minutes.
7) Cut the pomegranate in half and squeeze out the juice and scrape out the seeds into a bowl.
8) To make the salad add 2 large handfuls of greens in a bowl, drizzle 3 tablespoons of the warm pan drippings onto the greens and toss. Arrange meat on top and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and garnish with basil.
To Healthy Living