Coconut oil - Why it’s awesome and why I use it as much as possible
Coconut oil is a saturated fat. However, it is a type of saturated fat that consists of short and medium chain fatty acids. Plus there is no cholesterol in coconut oil.
What does this mean? Your body is able to use these fatty acids more efficiently as instant energy. In turn, this can increase your metabolism and lead to weight loss. If you have energy readily available your body won't need to store fat to use as energy later. That’s why eating 5 – 6 small meals a day will lead to greater weight loss. Meals should be a mix of Protein, Fat and vegetable.
How to use Coconut Oil:
· Replace all other cooking oils with coconut oil
· In hot drinks like tea or soup
· Add it to smoothies or protein
· Take it by the spoonful
· Coconut butters
· You can even use it on your skin as a moisturiser, and it even reduces protein loss when used in hair
How much should I use?
I recommend consuming 2 - 4 tbsp per day. I have found that it is best to start out slowly. In very few cases it can have a laxative effect but it’s a good thing as it will help clean out the bowel. Start with 1 tbsp a day.
· Contains Lauric acid which is antibacterial and antiviral (otherwise only found in breast milk).
· Help to increase metabolism.
· Acts as an antioxidant in the body.
· It is very stable and does not oxidize (turn rancid easily).
· Aids in healing irritated, dry, chapped and other skin conditions.
· Can relieve digestive issues, such as constipation and yeast overgrowth.
· It burns at a much higher temperature, smoke point is 177 °C.
So the big question is, can coconut oil help me lose weight?
Short answer YES. The positive metabolic affects of coconut oil can help you lose weight. Coconut oil is a high grade saturated fat that can turn up your metabolism to help with fat burning. It’s also a great way to replace other oils lower in saturated fats.