Chicken Panang Curry
Perfect recipe for these colder winter nights, if you are in a bit of a rush then you can buy the Panang curry paste pre made.
What you will need for a home made paste:
- 4 dried spur chillies, de seed and soak till tender
- 1 tsp of shrimp paste
- 1/3 cup of shallots
- 1 tsp of lemon grass
- 1 tsp of coriander root finely sliced
- 1 tsp galandal finely sliced
- 1/2 tbs kaffir lime rind finely sliced
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
In a mortar pound the chillies and salt together, then add in the lemongrass, coriander, kaffir and galangal and pound well, lastly add in the shrimp paste, shallots, pepper and garlic and pound into a smooth paste. You wont need all of this paste so you can half it and freeze the rest for later use.
What else you will need:
1 kg chicken thigh fillets, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 can coconut milk
1 can of Maesri Panang paste or 2 heaping tbs of home made paste
2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 cup cashews, chopped
10 Thai basil leaves
1 tsp fish sauce
optional: Thai chili peppers to taste
Serve with cauliflower rice or sweet potato.
How to bring it all together:
1) Oil a skillet and place on a medium heat for a couple minutes, add in the curry paste and stirring together. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
2) Add 1/3 of the coconut milk to the skillet and stirring together for an extra two minutes.
3) Add the chopped chicken plus another 1/3 of coconut milk and stir together.
4) Reduce the heat to simmer and keep uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through. Should take 8-10 minutes. As the chicken is cooking, chop your cashews.
5) Add the last 1/3 of coconut milk, cashews, Thai basil leaves and fish sauce. If you want add some spice try add some crushed Thai chiles. Turn the heat to medium and simmer for a few more minutes until the basil leaves are soft and slightly darkened.
To Healthy Living